About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Word of the Day: Wait (or Farewell to Fillmore for Now)

It appears as though I posted too soon :)

Tuesday we went to Springfield MO to look at a beautiful van (see below) that we were almost certain that we would be buying. Everything seemed to be falling into place. The original price for the van was 19,000, they were running a sale at 16,000 and we were able to talk them down to 14,500. The rule of thumb for car lots is that they try to make 2000 per sale on pre-owned vehicles, so in essence, they were selling this to us darn near close to what they paid for it.

Perfect! um, right?

We called a few friends, you may have been one of them, and asked you to pray for wisdom. I jokingly asked a few of you to pray that if I was not meant to move forward on this purchase that I'd "feel like I was going to throw up". The strangest thing happened...

As we were driving to the lot that day I had butterflies in my stomach. I got about four hours of sleep Tuesday night. I was more stressed and unsettled than I have been since Finals Week 2006 (the year my hard drive bellied up a week before finals). By the time I had the paperwork in my hands at the bank yesterday I had an anvil in my stomach. It took me a bit, but between the general lack of peace and the wise council of a long trusted friend I finally understood that this was not the time to jump into this.

Two scriptures factor in here:

Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations , I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalms 46:10 (NASB)

The Hebrew word for "cease" is "raphah", which means to "sink, relax, or let go". Interesting. Cease is a much better translation than the NIV's "be still". The NLT takes it further with "be silent".

Second of all, a proverb:

For by wise guidance you will wage war,
And in abundance of counselors there is victory.
Prov 24:6 (NASB)

I know that some of my friends think I rely too much on the prayers and counsel of others, but folks, we need one another. I cannot tell you how many times a wise word had saved me from harm. Most often, that counsel simply affirms what you know you are supposed to do anyhow.

This wasn't a total waste. I finally learned the art of "dickering", I'm no longer afraid of appearing greedy or seedy when I talk to a salesperson. I also have less fear of disappointing people. Second, I have been reminded of the powerful hand of God.

For Your arrows have sunk deep into me,
And Your hand has pressed down on me.
Psalms 38:2 (NASB)

I can honestly say that Tuesday night I felt like God's hand was pressed squarely on my chest. The exact opposite of what you should "feel" when you are headed into something. Sure, you might be scared to death following God. A warrior, it is said, is no more brave than another man, he simply overcomes his fear to become a hero. Other times, you have to "follow your gut". I believe that is part of what God hardwired into us.

Musing over this, I am reminded of a Cool Hand Luke tune:

The Foster:

The wisest words I ever heard
Came with a gentle wind
Though it didn’t hit me then
It made no sound
‘Til no one was around
This it blew me to my knees
And handed me the keys

Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it
Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it

I know the truth
I can show it to you
Or anybody else
But can’t apply it to myself
I already know which way to go
If I stop and breathe the air
The answer is right there

Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it
Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it

You can fight
You can try with all your might
It may be the hardest thing
But it’s the only way to peace

Close your eyes
Count to ten
Take a deep breath and try again

You have access
By one Spirit

Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it
Go, just go where the peace is
You always know if you seek it

So there you have it. Hope you are helped by my embarrassing story :)

Rev.

No comments: