About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Prince Caspian

One reviewer said that Walden Media’s adaptation of Caspian is what would happen if Disney took LOTR and put in the cast of Hannah Montana. While I wouldn’t agree entirely, I have to say I was far less impressed by this offering than with The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.

I have to ask the same question that I asked after I saw TLWW: “What screen writer really thinks they are a better writer than CS Lewis!?”

Dialogue rarely comes from the book, and Lewis surely turned phrases better than “You’ve got to be kidding me… you’re it?” Also the chronology of the story is changed significantly, and a few important scenes and discussions are omitted completely, but hey, only nerds notice that sort of thing right?

On the up side (once I realized that the screen writers were wrestling with how to adapt a book that is nearly 1/3 omnipotent narration into film) I can say that the overarching Narian themes remain.

This is a decidedly more dark film, reflecting that period of the Narnian canon. I suspect that some who were uncomfortable about the mysticism and violence of TLWW may give up on the upcoming films. Personally, it will be a while before our kids see Caspian (just like they have yet to see Revenge of the Sith).

Thankfully the themes of chivalry and the importance of old stories thankfully were firmly intact. Hard questions are asked (and answered0 such as, “Is it ever right to do wrong to accomplish right?” Honor and tradition are also venerated; we must remember that Lewis speaks to us from the fissure between one society and an emerging one that he detested in many ways.

Overall, Caspian is no substitute for the book, but perhaps it will whet the whistle for a new generation of Lewis fans. Then again, Lewis hasn’t really needed their help before… great stories spread without much help.

Rev.

No comments: