About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

C is for "Clink"

Whilst ironing my clothes yesterday morning I heard a strange sound emanating from the playroom, it was Cookie Monster singing about vegetables!

Apparently the quest to combat childhood obesity has in itself no sense of decency! That they would draft Cookie monster, surely under great compulsion, to sing not about macaroons and chocolate chips, but about carrots and potatoes. There are even rumblings about retiring the Cookie persona entirely in favor of the "Veggie Monster".

People who expect someone else to take responsibility for their own lack of child rearing skills astound me; consider this case of a family suing McDonald's a few years ago because their child was obese after eating their products every day, imagine that! I suppose that while I am on my soapbox... I recall a time when kids did extremely dangerous things like jumping on trampolines, shooting bb guns, camping, eating potato chips, and playing dodge ball. Today, some people won't even let their kids outside without hovering over their every step. I suppose that if these families ever starting hanging out, they'd probably try to have Cookie put in the clink!

I know that if I'd gone to grandma's and she handed me a plate of tofu turnovers I would blow a fuse. But since I am the scientific type, I wanted to give the project a chance so I asked my son (who had just finished watching the segment) if he wanted a cookie or a potato, to which he readily replied, "cookie!?"

You tell me.

Rev. Spike



******************
For a hilarious related article with similar reflections, see below:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html?ref=magazine

No comments: