About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Bruxism and the Bible

About six years ago, Steve, Darryl, and I hit a show in downtown OKC at a venue called City Church. That night was a double threat, Spoken and Living Sacrifice, and it was awesome (and a few legendary concert moments came from that like my Hammering Process CD surviving a mosh pit). That night I stood right next to a massive speaker and I could not hear from my right ear for about eight hours. I also took a stage dive from a monitor during "Reborn" and got dropped at the end or my (AWESOME!) crowd surf, straight on my knee! OW...

So, what does that have to do with Bruxism?

For years, every morning I wake up with serious cramps in my neck, and shoulders. Vicki says you can hear me popping my neck in the living room. My ear is nearly deaf as a post and my knee aches. Yeah, every morning... until a week ago!

My dentist told me that I have Bruxism (TMD) or "clenching and grinding". It happens if you have a job that needs concentration or if you have a lot of stress in your life. (Good thing I'm only a pastor and father of four!) So they gave me this mouth guard to use when I am driving, typing, and sleeping and if you can believe it, my ear, neck, and my freaking knee feel better... odd huh? Bruxism gives you tension in your head and neck that apparently can lead to migraines, back trouble, pinched nerves etc. So this little thing in my mouth has been changing my life. I seriously feel better than I have in years, all because of a silly little mouth guard!

I can't help but see a spiritual analogy here. The small things that I do in my spiritual life help just as much. We started studying Galatians this past Sunday night, so in preparation I have spent hours in my Bible and in books preparing and have been reflecting on the Word quite a bit lately. Wouldn't you know, my attitude has improved, there is more peace in my heart, I feel better about life. That is something that God did, and I am thankful for it, but all it took was little effort from me to tap into what was literally surrounding me all the time (if you know me, you know my family has about thirty Bibles).

I have to go now, I am about to go lay down more money than I really want to spend on a washer and dryer set...

Yes, I'm taking my mouth guard :)

No comments: