About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A (Not-so-)Good Friday Meditation

It has been aptly stated that “Fear is the thief of dreams”.

I would suggest that of all the forces that caused Jesus to be ground up in the gears of history that fear may have been the greatest part of it all.

Now, the most astute among us have already caught me, “It was not the forces of the age, not even of nature that brought Jesus to the Cross, it was God’s divine design from the foundation of the world” or the sentimental might say, “Nails didn’t hold Jesus to the Cross, love did…”

I feel it in my bones, fear nailed Christ to that Cross. Fear of the unknown caused Adam and Eve to crumble. Fear caused the backsliding of the children in the Exodus. Fear brought Israel into alliance with lesser kingdoms. Fear caused the “spiritual” to kill the prophets. Fear plugged the ears of the Pharisees, Scribes, and Sadducees. Fear moved the people to cry out, “CRUCIFY HIM!” Fear moved Pilate to do nothing while a good man was sentenced to death. Fear drove the disciples away.

The Bible exhorts us time and again to not be afraid. Men better than I have reported that the most common commandment in the Bible is “be not afraid”. Perhaps we should take that to heart this Friday.

No comments: