About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

As the Ruin Falls



Some years back, my friend Chris was immersed in C.S. Lewis at OBU and uncovered the little known fact that Lewis was not only a brilliant scholar, theologian, and fiction author, BUT was indeed quite the accomplished poet. One of his more challenging and revealing works is the following work. I know it cuts me to the bone every time I read it.

********************


As the Ruin Falls

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through:
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, re-assurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin:
I talk of love --a scholar's parrot may talk Greek--
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

Only that now you have taught me (but how late) my lack.
I see the chasm. And everything you are was making
My heart into a bridge by which I might get back
From exile, and grow man. And now the bridge is breaking.

For this I bless you as the ruin falls. The pains
You give me are more precious than all other gains.

C S Lewis

1 comment:

Darryl Schafer said...

I'm no critic of poetry, but this has been my favorite poem from the first day I read it.