About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Journal of a Junkie

It has been a stellar week, a fantastic Ash Wednesday service, great chili supper, and I got to help a dear friend through some tough times this week. God has really encouraged me, then, Friday happened.

Nothing really "bad" happened, but I was just constantly interrupted (and not the divine appointment type of interruptions). There is this episode of Cedric the Entertainer where he talks about how he has to watch a movie, have a sandwich, take a nap etc. before he gets to work on his comedy routines. Well, I'm not exactly the same, but close. When inspiration strikes, I hit the ground running and, if all is well, I will marathon to completion but every time I lose momentum (or run out of coffee!) it takes me a good while to get back on track.

I used to fill in the time where I was "waiting" to find my groove with gaming. As you can imagine, it took a LONG time sometimes to get back to work. Furthermore, when I was discouraged, or frustrated, like Friday; I would turn to gaming when what I should have done was prayed or read my Bible. In my darkest hours I would find myself in my office studying (playing catch-up) while my kids played outside because I had wasted hours throughout the week.

This last two weeks I was caught up enough to take the day off on Monday and today I took my family to a national park. Last Saturday, I went out and played football with my kids (they won most of the time). How many times have I missed that opportunity? Firday I also called my mom and I've found time to start reading some of those books and articles that have been sitting around for a million years (give or take...) and caught up on my Lostpedia reading.

In short, I do not believe that video games are evil, but I can tell you that I have only missed them one time. About ten minutes before I went out to play football I had what I could only refer to as "gamers withdrawal". I honestly had a moment of DT, like, what do I do now!? I have time on my hands!?!?! That leads me to my next battleground: YouTube, perhaps the greatest threat to productivity ever foisted upon unsuspecting ADHD types like myself.

Rev.

1 comment:

Andrea Maddiex said...

Good for you! Mine is reading. When life gets stressful or I feel anxious I want to hide in a book. Unfortunately, I should turn to the bible, but often it is something like (my favorite Lord of the Rings, ect.) I have gotten better at putting time limits to "reading for entertainment". I am not a Youtube fan and I guess it is a good thing my hubby doesn't know what it is as he also suffers from ADHD. His favorite time waster is any sports related event he can find on TV. But, I am proud to say he also is working on limiting that. I applaud your efforts!! :)