About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

And if We Know Him...

In The Problem of Pain C.S. Lewis wrote, "And if we know Him, we shall in fact fall on our faces."

Indeed. One way that my relationship with God differs from all other relationships is that in most friendships, the more I get to know someone, the more comfortable I am with them. The more approachable they seem. Not so with God. 

While on one level He indeed becomes more approachable through Christ; the alternate aspect is evident that the more I know about Him the following occurs. First, I find that I know much less than I thought. Secondly, I wonder how He would even have fellowship with me at all (What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him? Ps. 8:4) And indeed, who are we? We are nothing, that is, nothing of merit. We are only special because by God's soveriegn design we are the capstone of Creation. He has set us apart as His own. He has redeemed us. He has allowed us to come to Him by making a Way through His Son Jesus. Oh what a great God we serve. 

So then, when we wish to draw near to Him, we are to do so humbly. To confess as Isaiah that we are undone, that we are unclean, except that He was bound up our wounds, and the has cleaned us with His holiness. So we stand in the tension between two great truths, our depravity and His mercy that makes us acceptable before Him. 

And here I stand. Amen.