About Me

My photo
Jesus Christ changed my life when I was 15 years old. I have given my life to proclaiming Him.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Nine: Watch Your Steps


Louie Giglio's little book, “The Air I Breathe” made an impression on me. The book is a discussion of worship, and at the heart of worship is attitude. Early on Louie notes how casually we go about coming to a worship service. More often than not, a stop at the church is sandwiched in between any number of other commitments from a stop at the café, to a post church lunch or brunch, then to the mall, the movies, or the ballfield. These additional stops are issues of conscience. If you can conscience a stop at Barnes and Noble on the way home from church, then more power to you. But if you are sitting through service, wondering if they have any cool new Doctor Who stuff since the last time you were there, you should be paying attention to the service! And that is part of the problem nowadays. We sort of cram church in to our already distracted schedule.

I am well aware of dangers of equating church attendance with spiritual maturity and devotion, what we are talking about here is something more.

When you are in worship, are you there?

How did you prepare before you get there?

If you are not there, invested, the question becomes, “Why did you come?” We should try to make the best of that time.

Guard your steps, as in, don’t just run in talking away on your mobile or whatever. Take a breath, put your device and you on airplane mode, and head in to worship and revere God. While I am on the subject, I wonder if some times, we spend too much time talking to one another at church and not enough time talking to God.

If we come to God, to make a request, or a vow, etc. even though he knows our thoughts, we should think the thing through, and bring it to God in a manner worthy of Him. God will hear a “quick prayer” as we call it where I live, typically full of fillers like, “Um” and “Lord God”, but shouldn’t we give more consideration as we approach the Creator? 

And I am just as guilty, certainly talking to myself here, and using too many words to do so!

Our society prizes people who spew like a fire hydrant without the cap on. God wishes for us to reason out what we are going to say, to one another, to him, and to be careful to recall that “where there are many words, transgression is unavoidable.”

When you do make a vow, keep it. Even if it is difficult to keep. I would hope that very few times in my life have I renegotiated or left a vow unfulfilled. God help me if it was to Him. But we so often do vow to God, or to our church, or to others. When you make a vow, keep it. It is better to not vow, than to vow and not pay; otherwise there will be consequences.

Verses 3 and 7 are linked. There are more than a few daydreamers out there. They hope that their dreaming will bring about what they want more than work. Talk, and dream all you want, but it is work and God’s blessing that bring reward.




No comments: